4.19.2011

ode to journaling.

yesterday i was scrolling through my journal on my computer when i came upon an entry from this year's valentine's day.  the only way i can accurately explain the silliness of this entry is to post it. here it is.  [do you think i'm at all bitter? i don't think so]

       Today is Valentine’s day.  Valentine’s Day is the most inconsequential holiday in the history of holidays.  I ask, why is Valentine’s Day a holiday? Is it to remind eighty percent of the world that they don’t have someone in their lives that will even buy them flowers? Is it to show off your so-called boyfriend to the world just cause you can? Is it an archaic excuse to make out with your boyfriend all day and wear pink froo-froo outfits? I think it is pointless, lame, and sad.
I’m not saying all of this because I don’t have a boyfriend. I’m not saying it because nobody will be my secret admirer on this day, I’m saying this because Valentine’s day puts a label on single men and women all over the United States.  High Schools all around America are looking down upon those without Valentines at this very moment. 
The thing we must realize is that being a single man or woman is not a bad thing necessarily.  I don’t see why High School students thrive upon weather or not they have a boyfriend or girlfriend.  Frankly, I think being connected or attached to someone makes life more dramatic and less fun while in high school.  Only a small margin of high school relationships even last, so why do we spend so much time making such a large deal about it?
I think that being single in High School should be smiled upon.  Being single in high school means you can hang out with whoever you want on the weekends, it means you don’t need to monitor who you kiss, it means you can flirt hard core whenever the heck you want.  Being single means you are independent and you don’t have to have someone in your life to feel secure.  Being single means you are self-reliant.  You are someone who doesn’t need this stupidity to feel like you mean something. 
Don’t get me wrong, love is grand.  And I mean that in the most non-cliché way possible.  I just believe that “love” should be saved for when we’re all older.  I think that the word “love” is far too overused in high school.  As much as we all think we know love, most high school students don’t.  Someone to make out with on the weekends is not the definition of love.  Love is a deep strong commitment that you make with someone else and that they make with you.  Love is when you can trust someone with anything, you want to be with them forever, you can be with them 24/7 and never get sick of them.  Love is a word misused and not meant. I believe that the word love should be something special, not something that you say to your next friend with benefits.
So Valentine’s Day.  Instead of loathing the holiday, laugh at it, even though its stupidity might may silence you. On Valentine’s Day, don’t be sad you don’t have a self-proclaimed Valentine, be glad you don’t. Enjoy yourself as a single human being while you can.

**isn't it funny what you find going through your journal? i like it.

b.

No comments: