6.26.2011

my mother.


i listened to a girl today say that she would never be like her mother. she pathetically exclaimed that everything her mother had done, in mothering, in life, and in general, she would do the opposite.  i looked in awe at that girl, wondering how in the world she could feel such a thing.  my thoughts drifted to my own mother.  the woman who has taught me so many valuable life lessons.  i thought about our rare mother/daughter relationship, and how i wouldn't trade it for the world. as i was thinking, i realized that i want to be just like my mother, my mother who has taught me everything by example.

i have watched countless times  my mother's genuine sweetness, gentleness, and kindness envelop someone. i have witnessed it surround me.  my mother is hard working. my mother is sweet and genuine.  my mother is kind and loving. my mother is crazy and loud.  my mother is understanding and forgiving.  my mother is faithful. my mother is true to what she believes. my mother has so many unique qualities that i only dream to possess in my lifetime.  i hope to be half the mother she is to me. i hope to be half the woman she is today.

i've watched my mother in wonder as she gently tucks her child into bed. i've watched her tenderly rock a baby to sleep.  i've watched my mother plant a beautiful garden.  i've watched my mother build homes for the poor and bring the broken happiness.  i've watched my mother work together with my father. i have witnessed my mother throughout most every situation, and i never ever cease to become increasingly impressed by her.  my mother is the epitome of a great woman.  she is my role model. she is my best friend.

you know what i want to be when i grow up?
a mom.

b.

No comments: